Padre John Onorato Carcaterra (b. Forio, 1871 d. Grumo Nevano, 1940).
He was custodian of the Holy Land in Jerusalem, one of the most important positions of the Church in the Middle East, and then bishop of Ipso in Phrygia. Onorato was the name that he took in religion when he was attracted to St. Francis and he wore the habit of Minor Observant. He studied various languages: French, English, Spanish, Arabic and Hebrew, and in 1898 obtained a degree in Rome in Sacred Theology, which then taught at the seminary seraphic Custody of the Holy Land. He spent the last years of retired life in the Convent of Grumo Nevano, where he died at 69. He was returned to Ischia in 1934, on the occasion of the second centenary of the death of St. G. Giuseppe della Croce. Recently, his remains were transferred to Forio in the Convent of the Franciscans.
Read more about Isola d’ Ischia here.